Here is a recipe I found on allrecipes.com, but adjusted it a bit (lowered the sugar content and added some stuff). It says that the bars will be hard, but both times I've made the bars they have been more on the chewy side. My 22 month old has no trouble eating them.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar (orignially called for 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (you could sub whole wheat flour)
- 3/4 cup raisins (optional...I used crasins and only added 1/2 cup - ie. dried cranberries)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- I added 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- I also would like to add walnuts! maybe 1/2 cup chopped
- flaxseed would be good to add too!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, raisins and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla. Mix well using your hands. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut.