(makes 3-4 servings)
· 2 lbs of stew meat
· black pepper
· all purpose flour
· olive oil
· 1/4 cup of chopped celery
· 1/4 cup of chopped carrots
· 3 cups of beef stock
· 2 bay leaves
· 4-5 potatoes cut into small chunks
· 2-3 whole carrots cut into 2 inch sections
1. Rinse meat and pat dry. Cut into 2 inch chunks and season with basil, thyme, and black pepper.
2. Lightly cover meat with flour. Brown in a stew pot with olive oil over medium high heat.
3. Add chopped celery and carrots and cook for 3-5 more minutes.
4. Add beef stock and bay leaves. Add another teaspoon of basil and thyme if necessary and bring to boil.
5. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender enough to cut with a spoon.
6. Add potatoes and carrot chunks and continue to simmer for another 30-40 minutes.
7. Serve immediately or refrigerate and reheat later for thicker sauce. Great with thick bread like Challah.