This recipe is from my friend Kelly, she said it's not too tough to make despite how it looks. She found this recipe in the Southern Living magazine.
- 4 skinned and boned chicken breast halves (I love to use the thin sliced ones if I can find them)
- 2T chopped fresh cilantro
- 2T vegetable oil
- 2 t chili powder
- 1/4 t ground red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded Mexican four-cheese blend
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 4 (1 inch thick) French bread slices, lightly toasted
- Black Bean Salsa (recipe below...don't worry, it's easy)
Place chicken breasts b/t 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/2" thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
Stir together cilantro and next 4 ingredients (veg oil, chili powder, red pepper, garlic). Spread on chicken.
Grill, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes on each side or until chicken is done.
Meanwhile, stir together cheese and mayo. Spread on bread slices. Place bread, cheese mixture side up, on a baking sheet.
Broil 6 inches from heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese melts. Place chicken on bread and serve (cover) with black bean salsa.
Black Bean Salsa
- 1 plum tomato
- 1 avocado
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1.5 T chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 T lime juice
- 1/8 t dried crushed red pepper
- 1/8 t salt
Dice tomato. Peel, seed, and dice avocado. Combine tomato, avocado, onion, beans and cilantro in a bowl.
Whisk together oil and remaining 3 ingredients (lime juice, crushed red pepper, salt). Toss with bean mixture. Cover and chill, if desired.