Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Healing Cabbage Soup
I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and thought I was just in for a healthy dinner with not much excitement, but I was pleasantly surprised. I actually really enjoyed this one! I think I'm going to make it tonight for dinner! (If you are doing the Daniel Fast to a "t" then use vegetable bouillon. I like the better than bouillon brand that you find in a jar and actually spoon out) I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 1/2 onion, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, chopped
* 2 quarts water
* 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon (I use Better than Bouillon) SUB veggie broth if desired
* 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
* 1/2 head cabbage, cored and coarsely chopped
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, drained and diced (I used a 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes and just added a dash of Italian seasoning)
*sliced carrots (optional)
1. In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic; cook until onion is transparent, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in water, bouillon, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then stir in cabbage. Simmer until cabbage wilts, about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in tomatoes. Return to a boil, then simmer 15 to 30 minutes, stirring often. (I found it was even better the longer it simmered. I would simmer at least 45 minutes)
*Image by Kady-June on allrecipes.com